Faith. Any unknowing, unbiased man reading the bible would first notice…
Doctrine of Faith.
-Faith is all-important in the life of the soul. Heb 11.6
– No approach to God is possible.
– No forgiveness.
– No deliverance.
– No salvation.
– No communion.
– No spiritual life at all.
Faith is indispensable in Pursuit of God; we should be deeply concerned about it…
– Nature of faith.
– Do I have it?
– Believing a promise.
o Taking God at his word.
o The bible is true, la palabra de Dios es verdad.
o Stepping out upon that.
– Some would say their prayers being answered, with direct or temporal gifts, is confirmation… but this view is narrow and limited, slimming faith to nearly nothing and limiting the all consuming fire of God.
SIDENOTE: in scripture, practically no effort to define faith. Except Heb. 11.1.
§ Hebrews 11.1– Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
§ Even this is faith defined functionally, not philosophically.
– Faith is an operation… assumes presence, shows results. See Heb. 11.
– Faith is a Gift of God. Ephesians 2.8-9
– Faith comes from hearing, and hearing the word of God. Rom. 10.17
“I had rather exercise faith then know a definition thereof.” Thomas a Kempis
– here we should stop defining Faith, and experience in ACTION.
LOOK- Numbers 21.4-9 Serpent lifted up, gaze upon to heal snakebites.
BELIEVE- John 3.14-16 whoever believes should not perish…
Tozer, here draws the conclusion that looking = believing.
Faith is the gaze of the soul upon a saving God.
Psalms 34.5 looked, lightened, not ashamed.
Psalms 123.1-2 lift up my eyes, eyes wait on the Lord until he has mercy on us.
– seek God’s mercy, UNTIL HE GRANTS IT.
Matthew 4.19 Looking up to heaven, he broke bread…
John 5.19-21 – KEEP YOUR INWARD EYES ON THE FATHER.
– Power of God lies in your look to Him, as Christ acted from the Father.
Faith is not a one-done act, but a continuous gaze at the triune God.
– Believing is directing one’s attention to him.
– ONE GREAT volitional act, to establish the hearts intention to gaze forever on Jesus.
– Make a spiritual habit/reflex of turning to Him.
Faith is not on self, much like the eye not seeing itself, but it is occupied on the object on which it rests… Then God works.
Faith is not a meritous act, but rests in the One to Whom it is directed.
Romans 11.2-6**God did not reject his people, whom he foreknew. Don’t you know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah—how he appealed to God against Israel: “Lord, they have killed your prophets and torn down your altars; I am the only one left, and they are trying to kill me”? And what was God’s answer to him? “I have reserved for myself seven thousand who have not bowed the knee to Baal.” So too, at the present time there is a remnant chosen by grace. And if by grace, then it is no longer by works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.
The Word directs us to Him.
God’s faithfulness and love will then envelop and wrap you.
“When the eyes of the soul looking out, meet the eyes of God looking in, heaven has begun right there on earth.” – Tozer
John 17.3 – “Now this is eternal life that they may know you, the only true God and Jesus Christ Whom you have sent.”
Our mistake is to imitate each other, instead of following Christ.
Galatians 2.20 – [Each individual decision, path and death leads us to pick up your own cross and follow.]
“Now, if faith is the gaze of the heart at God and if this gaze is but the raising of the inward eyes to an all-seeing, God, then it follows that this is one of the easiest possible things to do.”
– anyone can and should do this, from and especially for the weakest and poorest, you are no better.
#1 -The simplicity of it.
– No special equipment, training manual, book or minister required.
– looking is of the heart and can be done standing, kneeling, sitting, bowing, raising hands… etc. as long as it is done in spirit and in truth.
#2 -Done at any time.
#3 -Any where.
– can be constantly practiced, by inwardly seeking Him with secret constant communion. ** Brother Lawerence.
Still much value in Spiritual Disciplines:
-Meditation on word.
-Service and Activity.
The thing, the meaning of all the above is: the inward habit of beholding God.
#4 -All us, as worshipers, focus on Christ, we are closer than we think, just as God is.
– Become “unity” conscious.
– Turn our eyes to Christ, do not strive for closer fellowship, just seek the father and all these things will be added.
Prayer (Tozer)- O Lord, I have heard a good word to look away to thee and be satisfied. My heart longs to respond, but sin has clouded my vision till I see the but dimly. Be pleased to cleanse me in thine own precious blood, and make me inwardly pure, so that I may with unveiled eyes gaze upon thee all the days of my pilgrimage, then shall I be prepared to behold thee in splendor in the day when thou shall appear to be glorified in thy saints and admired in all them that believe. Amen.
There is no greater call, no higher desire… the absolute maximum of which, in reality, there is none greater.
All praise be to you Father, faithfully confirming yourself to me again today. You are Adonai, El Shaddai and Holy.