Matthew 6.9 – “This, then, is how you should pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.”
- NET- “may your name be honored.”
- BBE- “may your name be kept holy.”
- MSG-“Reveal who you are.”
What’s in a name? Three thoughts here:
– Redeeming Love, a book that I’m reading right now by Francine Rivers, the prostitute and wife of Michael Hosea, is born Sarah, after abuse and many years in the industry she is convinced her name is Angel, but as Michael reveals his love for her, her name has molded and changed from Mara, to Tirzah, to Amanda, to Mandy. Will she ever believe her name is Amanda? Will she remember her name is Sarah?
Maybe everything’s in a name? I remember my parents when we were kids, “DON’T CALL YOUR BROTHER STUPID!” 🙂
– I’m having a hard time with the NIV lately, because G-d is referred to as Lord, or Lord Almighty, when Elohim or El Shaddai or maybe another name should be used. Best study I ever did was the attributes of God, Exodus 34. Then beyond that, read some Tozer, Knowledge of the Holy, and get to know Him as He is. HOLY.
-God’s name is holy and with the way we Gentiles use The Name, He must cringe at times, or perk His head up to say “Oh, used ‘in vain’ again?” “Children when will you learn?”
May we set your name apart, above all names. Holy Father.